Thursday, August 04, 2005

(don't) kiss me

to kiss or not to kiss in a Christian dating relationship?

i didn't have a problem with it, but this article brings up some pretty interesting points...(especially the sparking and kindling of the fire)

  • "(don't) kiss me" by Bethany Patchin


  • note: shawn groen elucidated that the author has obviously never been in love.

    what do you think?

    (p.s. i have only ever kissed one person, and my first kiss was at 20 years old.)

    7 Comments:

    Blogger rgrydns said...

    Too many details.

    6:41 PM  
    Blogger Be said...

    then don't read it. i am glad i waited as long as i did, but i don't think i could wait til my wedding day. i'm not sure that's healthy.

    8:50 PM  
    Blogger Jennifer said...

    "note: shawn groen elucidated that the author has obviously never been in love.
    "

    You should read the two articles she wrote after this one
    (Don't) Kiss Me Gets Engaged & Kiss Me Now to see what happened to her views when she "fell in love." You'll appreciate the "Kiss Me Now" article, I think.

    9:15 AM  
    Blogger rooster said...

    Bertnee:

    Good point - that's exactly where the crunch comes in: define kissing. The problem is, our culture has already defined kissing for us so often - and we can't take it out the context of passionate romance.

    Now, being married for 8 months, I'm all for passionate romance. But while I don't want to fall into the trap that says guy and girls can't understand each other on these issues, I will say that the 'passionate romance' game is a very dangerous highwire act for young men. Bar very few.

    I also believe that there should be a gradual incline of both emotional and physical intimacy as marriage approaches. Kissing is one of the wonderful ways we can learn both of those things. The problem is that the difference between 'just kissing' and '[sweat] kissing'is about 1/100th of a second.

    What am I trying to say? Simply that I believe kissing is wonderful, romantic, and one of the simplest, best ways to express intimacy and love. It's also the key to Bluebeard's door. If you have the iron gut it takes to save kissing for marriage, I'd recommend it. If not, make prayerful, clear decisions about defining what 'kissing' means at the stage you are in in your relationship. And stick with them.

    9:37 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    4:53 PM  
    Blogger rooster said...

    Thanks for the incisive comment, Adam. But I'm afraid you gathered something I didn't want to sow.

    One distinction I want to make:
    I'm not suggesting that if you decide to kiss in your relationship you've 'crossed over' to the sinful side. I believe that our discussion is simply a practical one: how can young people maintain purity in their relationships - what are the practical steps that make this kind of thing necessary? So it's a question of where you're drawing the line in the sand. I'm saying that if you are at a place where both of you are willing and to be 'too safe', then I recommend it.

    You're right - these choices don't have to do with biological make-up. However, they do have to do with cultural and family make-up. At Redeemer, for example, cultural assimilation and similarities are so great that we don't always realize that there could be a fairly large cultural divide between us and our special someone's families. And that can make a difference with something like kissing. I know it did in my situation.

    My point is this: people aren't de facto sinners for choosing to kiss. But if you're in a situation where you can choose not to, I believe great benefits may be had by making that decision.

    But of course I didn't say this in my post, so everything you said holds true.

    Thanks,
    Richard

    5:06 PM  
    Blogger Andy said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    9:54 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    Inspiring blogs to spark your cognitive wheels and pleasure faculties...
    mmm...my favourite should-be-doing-school-work-but-would-rather...(a.k.a. time-bending procrastination devices):

    ASLAN REIGNS!

    "Not all who wander are lost" ~J.R.R. Tolkien

    “The Bible…does not release the Christian community, especially those [sic] gifted for the task, from the grind of studying and thinking about such matters.” ~John Peck, Uncommon Sense

    Rational thought is the servant of faith: “Unless thou believe, thou shalt not understand.” ~Saint Augustine of Hippo

    "If we ignore our culture we will be destined simply to reproduce it and those who are wedded to the spirit of this age are destined to be widowed in the next." ~Dean Inge as quoted by Dr. Craig Bartholomew

    'Love bade me welcome, yet my soul drew back, Guilty of dust and sin. But quick-ey'd Love, observing me grow slack From my first entrance in, Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning If I lack'd anything.

    "A guest," I answer'd, "worthy to be here"; Love said, "You shall be he." "I, the unkind, the ungrateful? ah my dear, I cannot look on thee." Love took my hand and smiling did reply, "Who made the eyes but I?" "Truth, Lord, but I have marr'd them; let my shame Go where it doth deserve." "And know you not," says Love, "who bore the blame?" "My dear, then I will serve." "You must sit down," says Love, "and taste my meat." So I did sit and eat.' ~George Herbert, Love III

    I am 41% Geek.
    Geek? Yes, but at least I got social skills.
    You probably work in computers, or a history deptartment at a college. You never really fit in with the "normal" crowd. But you have friends, and this is a good thing.

    Powered by Blogger