Friday, July 22, 2005

walks in beauty

God's relationship with His children is described in numerous metaphors throughout His Word. From potter and clay to sheep and shepherd; father and child to friend of your heart. The metaphors seem to grow in intensity and intimacy until finally Christ's love for us is described as the love of a bridegroom, a fiance, a lover for his beloved.

My Lord Christ has been pursuing me and wooing me my whole life. The "kisses" and "love-letters" (as John and Stasi Eldredge describe them) he sends me are specific to my unique heart. For me, Christ knows the things that move my heart of hearts (the heart He himself fashioned): the landscapes, the lines of poetry and prose that call me to things higher and grander than imagination alone can grasp.
The trees, the arrangements of musical notes, the beating drum, the words of encouragement from friends and loved ones, the moon through the branches of the tree outside my bedroom window, strange and marvelous beauty found in the most unlikely places; my Lord knows how to romance me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"She walks in beauty" ~Byron

SHE walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that 's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.
One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impair'd the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had no choice but to hear you
You stated your case time and again
I thought about it

You treat me like I'm a princess
I'm not used to liking that
You ask how my day was

You've already won me over in spite of me
And don't be alarmed if I fall head over feet
Don't be surprised if I love you for all that you are
I couldn't help it
It's all your fault

Your love is thick and it swallowed me whole
You're so much braver than I gave you credit for
That's not lip service

You've already won me over in spite of me
And don't be alarmed if I fall head over feet
Don't be surprised if I love you for all that you are
I couldn't help it
It's all your fault

You are the bearer of unconditional things
You held your breath and the door for me
Thanks for your patience

You're the best listener that I've ever met
You're my best friend
Best friend with benefits
What took me so long

I've never felt this healthy before
I've never wanted something rational
I am aware now
I am aware now

You've already won me over in spite of me
And don't be alarmed if I fall head over feet
Don't be surprised if I love you for all that you are
I couldn't help it
It's all your fault

~"Head over feet," Alanis Morissette

1 Comments:

Blogger agirloutthere said...

You should check out some of my friends' sites on this. Specifically, look for Longing for More; Not So Strange, Not So Normal; Embrace the Mess; Sheplaysamartin.

Keep blogging!

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Inspiring blogs to spark your cognitive wheels and pleasure faculties...
mmm...my favourite should-be-doing-school-work-but-would-rather...(a.k.a. time-bending procrastination devices):

ASLAN REIGNS!

"Not all who wander are lost" ~J.R.R. Tolkien

“The Bible…does not release the Christian community, especially those [sic] gifted for the task, from the grind of studying and thinking about such matters.” ~John Peck, Uncommon Sense

Rational thought is the servant of faith: “Unless thou believe, thou shalt not understand.” ~Saint Augustine of Hippo

"If we ignore our culture we will be destined simply to reproduce it and those who are wedded to the spirit of this age are destined to be widowed in the next." ~Dean Inge as quoted by Dr. Craig Bartholomew

'Love bade me welcome, yet my soul drew back, Guilty of dust and sin. But quick-ey'd Love, observing me grow slack From my first entrance in, Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning If I lack'd anything.

"A guest," I answer'd, "worthy to be here"; Love said, "You shall be he." "I, the unkind, the ungrateful? ah my dear, I cannot look on thee." Love took my hand and smiling did reply, "Who made the eyes but I?" "Truth, Lord, but I have marr'd them; let my shame Go where it doth deserve." "And know you not," says Love, "who bore the blame?" "My dear, then I will serve." "You must sit down," says Love, "and taste my meat." So I did sit and eat.' ~George Herbert, Love III

I am 41% Geek.
Geek? Yes, but at least I got social skills.
You probably work in computers, or a history deptartment at a college. You never really fit in with the "normal" crowd. But you have friends, and this is a good thing.

Powered by Blogger