Thursday, June 09, 2005

choices choices choices

So, this coming academic year I'm enrolled in the seminar courses Dante (and the Divina Commedia) and Milton. I think I've decided to switch out of at least Dante...I don't know if I can handle a full semester of the Inferno. I need your help. Between Shakespeare and Chaucer and Medieval Mystery Cycles, which would you choose (or think I should choose)?--keeping in mind that in Oxford seminars, "considerable importance is attached to the research essay. The essay is expected to be a substantial and exemplary piece of research which should be valuable in future applications to postgraduate or professional programmes."

The second semester I'm in a Milton seminar. If I took Shakespeare the first semester, I'd likely take Shakespeare II the second. The Wagon, Innyard and Globe: Change and Continuity in English Drama, c.1400-c.1600 is another option for second semester. And as for tutorials, they're on the questioning block now too. So, in place of The Occult Sciences in the Middle Ages, I might like to take one of the following: Philosophy of Religion; Medieval Philosophy; La Chanson de Roland; Medieval Travel Writers; Chaucer; The Art of the Tale (in which comparisons will be drawn between Gower's Confessio Amantis and Chaucer's Canterbury Tales with folktale and tale-collections in other traditions like the Panchatantra, Arabian Nights and Decameron); Medieval Latin; or Old English.

AAAH! What to do?

My second semester tutorials are Middle English and World of Romance (the Arthurian Cycles). I could always switch out of these into any of the above as well. Ooh...Poetry might be another good one (I'd get practice in diverse poetic style). (Note: my other first semester tutorial is Narrative--I'll be writing prose in different forms and hopefully working on a novel. I'd like to remain in this tutorial).

Maybe I'll just never be satisfied...there are just too many exciting options...eeee...(what does that say about my personality, I wonder).

Any helpful advice would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

i have some advice - forget ALL the courses and come and live with me - i miss you just thinking about next year...

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Inspiring blogs to spark your cognitive wheels and pleasure faculties...
mmm...my favourite should-be-doing-school-work-but-would-rather...(a.k.a. time-bending procrastination devices):

ASLAN REIGNS!

"Not all who wander are lost" ~J.R.R. Tolkien

“The Bible…does not release the Christian community, especially those [sic] gifted for the task, from the grind of studying and thinking about such matters.” ~John Peck, Uncommon Sense

Rational thought is the servant of faith: “Unless thou believe, thou shalt not understand.” ~Saint Augustine of Hippo

"If we ignore our culture we will be destined simply to reproduce it and those who are wedded to the spirit of this age are destined to be widowed in the next." ~Dean Inge as quoted by Dr. Craig Bartholomew

'Love bade me welcome, yet my soul drew back, Guilty of dust and sin. But quick-ey'd Love, observing me grow slack From my first entrance in, Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning If I lack'd anything.

"A guest," I answer'd, "worthy to be here"; Love said, "You shall be he." "I, the unkind, the ungrateful? ah my dear, I cannot look on thee." Love took my hand and smiling did reply, "Who made the eyes but I?" "Truth, Lord, but I have marr'd them; let my shame Go where it doth deserve." "And know you not," says Love, "who bore the blame?" "My dear, then I will serve." "You must sit down," says Love, "and taste my meat." So I did sit and eat.' ~George Herbert, Love III

I am 41% Geek.
Geek? Yes, but at least I got social skills.
You probably work in computers, or a history deptartment at a college. You never really fit in with the "normal" crowd. But you have friends, and this is a good thing.

Powered by Blogger