Thursday, August 19, 2004

Kyrie eleison (LORD have mercy)

Jesus I've forgotten
The words that You have spoken
Promises that burned within my heart
Have now grown dim
With a doubting heart I follow
The paths of earthly wisdom
Forgive me for my unbelief
Renew the fire again

Lord have mercy
Christ have mercy
Lord have mercy on me

I have built an altar
Where I worship things of man
I have taken journeys
That have drawn me far from You
But now I am returning
To Your mercies ever flowing
Pardon my transgressions
Help me love You again

I have longed to know You
And all Your tender mercies
Like a river of forgiveness
Ever flowing without end
So I bow before my heart before You
In the goodness of Your presence
Your grace forever shining
Like a beacon in the night

Lord have mercy
Christ have mercy
Lord have mercy on me

~"LORD Have Mercy" by Steve Merkel (song performed immaculately by Eoghan Heaslip, on the album "His Passion: A Worshipful Journey to the Resurrection")

The Lord is daily giving me new perspectives on His creation. Lately, He has been teaching me about art (both fine and literary). I am blown away by His glory, His omnipresence, His wisdom in the grandest AND the minutest details of His universe. He is more playful than we imagine. He is more fearful, more terrible, more frightening than we have ever surmised. Sometimes all I can do is fall to my knees and pray for more mercy, more grace; for I am truly unworthy to be shown such glories, to enjoy such intensity of love and forgiveness. How great is the presence of the Lord in this place! Crown Him with many crowns; for the Lion of the Tribe of Judah HAS TRIUMPHED! Worthy, WORTHY is the Lamb of life...to receive honour and glory, power and might both now and forever! (How my heart longs to sing this in the joint chorus of the nations on the Great and Terrible Day of the Lord!)
Whoohooo!

O the passion O the wonder
Of the fiery love of Christ
King of Glory on the altar
Perfect Lamb of sacrifice
Who are we that He would love us
Who but He would give His life
O the passion O the wonder
Of the fiery love of Christ

O the wisdom O the wonder
Of the power of the cross
Love so great no words could tell it
Life Himself has died for us
Who are we that He would save us
Crucified to give us life
O the wisdom O the wonder
Of the power of the cross

O the passion O the wonder
Of the fiery love of Christ
Death defeated by His rising
Darkness conquered by His light
We will sing His praise forever
Worthy is the Lamb of Life
O the passion O the wonder
Of the fiery love of Christ
~ "O the Passion," writen by David Baroni and Gary Sadler, performed by Slater Armstrong

This past weekend I enjoyed holidays in Kingston (with my wonderful, immeasurably lovely roommate Jenni Lyn Nanninga). On a day of exploring the downtown stores, we were wrongfully accused of stealing a ring. We were kicked out of "The Modern Primative". It's ironic, because I was going to buy a beautiful Indian skirt and at least two Eastern-crafted rings. It's funny, because a couple minutes before the incident "went down" we both had a terrible urge to leave and the sensation that something was very wrong. We didn't heed the still small voice inside. Anyway, we left and I cried...and actually, we ended up having some sharing and worship time down by the docks. It was all we could think to do. We were distraught to the innermost parts of our beings and the only person who could understand this or share in it was Jesus (who suffered first). The singing definitely helped. It turned our attention away from our own petty circumstance to the King of Glory. Just to be near Him is enough to cleanse any injury. During the worship, ducks would come up to our toes looking for food. I realized that ducks are kind of ugly things. But have you ever noticed that they have a beautiful patch of rich colour hidden under their wings? In some light it looks deep ocean blue, in other light royal purple, and still in another light, forest green. It's like magic. A magic patch of some secret, higher function. It's practical use probably includes attracting a mate, but man, it was a precious metaphor and definitely made me realize that in the ugliest life situations, Jesus' glory is able to shine the most splendidly. The incident called us away from our secular holiday and that pagan store and turned our focus to the Holy One of Heaven. We were also moved to pray in love for our accuser. Bitterness and hatred tried to sneak into our hearts, but prayer for her soul caused Love to remain in the place evil was trying to steal. Afterwards, Jenni had a great and wonderful desire to visit one of the large historic churches in Kingston. We were actually planning on going to the Gothic-styled Catholic cathedral which Jenni said is breathtaking in its sculptures and art. We ended up making a "quick" stop-off at St. George's Aglican Cathedral. We walked in and went straight to the prayer candles. We began reading the prayer cards and immediately were overwhelmed with the presence of the Lord. Tears streamed down our faces in repentence. How often do I judge the more traditional braches of our Faith as backslidden and "out of touch" with the LORD's heart. How wrong I've been. More and more He is demonstrating that there IS unity within the body. No one denomination has cornered the market on the LORD's best for His bride. Something that our more "modern" Protestant churches are most definitely lacking is good art. As Mark Buchanan in his marvelous book The Holy Wild puts it:

"Most Protestant churches are graveyards for the imagination. They are about the last place on earth you expect to find good art. Sentimental kitsch, yes. Schmaltzy propaganda, yes. But good art, no. There is nothing that startles or subdues, haunts or grips; nothing that awakens an instinct to coil tight and leery around your terrible secrets, or to drop all your guards, fling wide your arms, and spill everything. I have never in a church seen a rendering of Eden that made me want to visit the place, or of a serpent who could seduce me into the forbidden. I have never seen there a depiction of the Last Supper that pierced me with longing and sorrow. I have, for that matter, never seen a single portrait of Jesus that made me want to lose my inhibitions and lean my head against his chest." ~Buchanan, The Holy Wild, page 167.

Behind the prayer candles was a rendition of Jesus on the Throne of Heaven that made me want to lose my inhibitions. He, thankfully was dark haired and dark eyed (sorry all you blond-blue Dutchies ;-)). I have never been a fan of Jesus art---but this one was an exception (as were the stained glass images in the cathedral). It looked Eastern and medieval and I loved it. After prayer I ventured to the back pews and began reading an Ancient and Modern Hymn Book. The LORD spoke powerfully to me through it. Jenni asked a church tour guide where we could find a copy of it, and she directed us to the diocese bookstore. Ten dollars later, I have a copy! (I also bought a recording of C.S. Lewis on The Four Loves, A Third Testament by Malcolm Muggeridge and the "His Passion" worship album from which I have taken so many of my quotations today).

On the first night of our holiday, when before bed I prayed that the LORD would be with us and show us more of Himself that weekend, I had no idea that He would answer the plea in such a real and tangible way. Be careful what you pray for!!!! ;-) He is more faithful than we know! Amen!

Jesus is the supreme author and perfecter of our Faith. He is the original artist.

And Amen.

Thank You for the cross Lord
Thank You for the price You paid
Bearing all my sin and shame
In love You came
Gave amazing grace

Thank You for this love Lord
Thank You for the nail-pierced hands
Wash me in Your cleansing flow
Now all I know
Your forgiveness and embrace

Worthy is the Lamb
Seated on the throne
Crown You now with many crowns
You reign victorious
High and lifted up
Jesus son of God
The darling of Heaven crucified
Worthy is the Lamb
Worthy is the Lamb
Worthy is the Lamb
Worthy is the Lamb...

Crown Him with many crowns
The Lamb upon the throne
Hark now the Heavenly athem sound
All music from His throne
Awake my soul and sing
Of Him who died for me
And hail Him as thy matchless King
Through all Eternity

Worthy is the LAMB!!!!!!!!!!!

~"Worthy is the Lamb" by Darlene Zschech, performed by Travis Cottrell and Angela Cruz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Inspiring blogs to spark your cognitive wheels and pleasure faculties...
mmm...my favourite should-be-doing-school-work-but-would-rather...(a.k.a. time-bending procrastination devices):

ASLAN REIGNS!

"Not all who wander are lost" ~J.R.R. Tolkien

“The Bible…does not release the Christian community, especially those [sic] gifted for the task, from the grind of studying and thinking about such matters.” ~John Peck, Uncommon Sense

Rational thought is the servant of faith: “Unless thou believe, thou shalt not understand.” ~Saint Augustine of Hippo

"If we ignore our culture we will be destined simply to reproduce it and those who are wedded to the spirit of this age are destined to be widowed in the next." ~Dean Inge as quoted by Dr. Craig Bartholomew

'Love bade me welcome, yet my soul drew back, Guilty of dust and sin. But quick-ey'd Love, observing me grow slack From my first entrance in, Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning If I lack'd anything.

"A guest," I answer'd, "worthy to be here"; Love said, "You shall be he." "I, the unkind, the ungrateful? ah my dear, I cannot look on thee." Love took my hand and smiling did reply, "Who made the eyes but I?" "Truth, Lord, but I have marr'd them; let my shame Go where it doth deserve." "And know you not," says Love, "who bore the blame?" "My dear, then I will serve." "You must sit down," says Love, "and taste my meat." So I did sit and eat.' ~George Herbert, Love III

I am 41% Geek.
Geek? Yes, but at least I got social skills.
You probably work in computers, or a history deptartment at a college. You never really fit in with the "normal" crowd. But you have friends, and this is a good thing.

Powered by Blogger