Saturday, January 13, 2007

hippie theology, a poem.

At a fair
one time I met
a hippie man.
He had long
greasy hair
and a long
straggly beard.

He played the bodhran
and sang a song
that went
“Bring em all in
bring em all in
bring em all in
bring em all in
bring em all
into my House.”

And then it listed
a bunch of rejects.
Gays and transvestites
were on the list;
pornographers
and used-car salesmen too.

The hippie-man
also told me
about the trees.
—God in the trees.
And how they’re all
—everything, in fact,
you, me,
the Hindu
Muslim,
Buddhist
Wiccan,
Sikh—
are all created
in His image.
We all share
the spark divine.

He didn’t deny
that we are bent
—just look at Germany in the 1930s
or the ever-newsworthy Iraq—
bent, but not beyond
recognition
or recall of our
former state.

“I wish more
people could see it”
he said, “then maybe
there would be less
hate.”

I think a lot
of churches
and preacher-men
—especially from the States—
would have problems
with this hippie
and his very
Christ-like
theology.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Be said...

not really sure what joel posted above before he erased them, but just to clarify a few things: this is a poem based on a true story. the man is a DEVOUT Christian. he is not unitarian. he does not think all spiritual paths lead to the same end, he just believes we need to start seeing people from all different backgrounds for what they are: created in the image of GOD. he sees way too much hatred and condemnation in the world and seeks to remedy it in his own life. he also sees God's character revealed in his creation. he believes Jesus Christ is the only way, the truth, and the light. he lives out his faith, a self-sacrificing, feeding the poor, helping the needy faith, more than anyone i had ever met before him, and more than anyone i have ever met since. he leads a home-church group that consists of very hurting and often psychologically disturbed people and has seen serious transformation in all of them (in varying capacities, of course) as they come to know the love of the Lord through the love of the community. anyway, i hope that clears a few things up. it's kind of sad that i needed to do that. perhaps i'm just not clear enough in my poetry.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Be said...

oh, and the song about inviting in the gays and transvestites, pornographers and used-car salesman too, is not implying that God is going to give these people a free ticket into heaven, rather that God is calling these people, inviting them to accept him, repent and come to know him, just as much as God is calling every other SINNER (EQUAL SINNER) in the WORLD. Christ's Grace is THAT wonderful.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

i understand what you're saying. the poetry does speak well.

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Inspiring blogs to spark your cognitive wheels and pleasure faculties...
mmm...my favourite should-be-doing-school-work-but-would-rather...(a.k.a. time-bending procrastination devices):

ASLAN REIGNS!

"Not all who wander are lost" ~J.R.R. Tolkien

“The Bible…does not release the Christian community, especially those [sic] gifted for the task, from the grind of studying and thinking about such matters.” ~John Peck, Uncommon Sense

Rational thought is the servant of faith: “Unless thou believe, thou shalt not understand.” ~Saint Augustine of Hippo

"If we ignore our culture we will be destined simply to reproduce it and those who are wedded to the spirit of this age are destined to be widowed in the next." ~Dean Inge as quoted by Dr. Craig Bartholomew

'Love bade me welcome, yet my soul drew back, Guilty of dust and sin. But quick-ey'd Love, observing me grow slack From my first entrance in, Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning If I lack'd anything.

"A guest," I answer'd, "worthy to be here"; Love said, "You shall be he." "I, the unkind, the ungrateful? ah my dear, I cannot look on thee." Love took my hand and smiling did reply, "Who made the eyes but I?" "Truth, Lord, but I have marr'd them; let my shame Go where it doth deserve." "And know you not," says Love, "who bore the blame?" "My dear, then I will serve." "You must sit down," says Love, "and taste my meat." So I did sit and eat.' ~George Herbert, Love III

I am 41% Geek.
Geek? Yes, but at least I got social skills.
You probably work in computers, or a history deptartment at a college. You never really fit in with the "normal" crowd. But you have friends, and this is a good thing.

Powered by Blogger