Friday, December 02, 2005

NARNIA!!!!


Aslan Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dangit, I just watched the trailer, and now I'm hooked. I would much rather read the book again before I watch the movie though...maybe you'd be willing to watch it a second time with me?


Oh, and one more question...what is the significance of "arcanum alcove?" Just curious.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Be said...

arcanum=secret (usually secret knowledge) revealed to an elect group

alcove=a small, recessed part of a room, small space in between two rooms (generally not considered a full-room), cave-like hollow in a mountain wall, hideaway, etc.

The hidden things of God, which mystics and gnostics and members of initiation cults believe can only be attained by the elect privileged few who are blessed with divine insight, and who have unique abilities which few others could ever hope to possess, was actually given to us all through Christ. When God choses to reveal His mysteries, He does so, as He seems to do all things, through Kingdom principles: principles seemingly backwards or inverted from those of our world and our understanding (the last shall be first, blessed are the poor in spirit, unless you become like a little child you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven, etc.).

I have always been intrigued by mystery, of hidden knowledge. It produces a heavy sense of wonder at creation and of God's playfulness and of the deep intricacies of Creation's design. I have also been very attracted to the idea that only the initiated, only a select few can discover the hidden mysteries of God. That is where my pride came in (and still does, but to a lesser degree hopefully!).

The "alcove" part of the title of my blog arose because I wanted my title to be alliterated (preferably with "As", because of my double "A" name), also because I like the idea of a place tucked away from the rest of the world (my blog is really such a tiny little crack in the internet universe). A place of refuge; a place to discover; a place of reflection; a place of wonder. If I could stir any of these things in my readers, in even the smallest measure, I would be happy!

On a surface level, the words mean "secret spot", on an "arcanum" level--only available to a select few who know me or who surf blogs and by chance or fate or providence stumble upon this recessed corner of the blogging super-mansion (though I would NEVER limit my readers to this group). Yet the words do symbolize a bit more :-D. Thanks for the question, Joel!

I'm definitely going to be watching Narnia more than a couple times when I get home. You are most definitely watching it with me at least one of those times!

And now I'll pray with Paul: May your heart be "encouraged, being knit together in love [with other believers], and attaining to all riches of the full assurance of understanding to the knowledge of the MYSTERY of GOD, both of the Father and of Christ, IN WHOM ARE HIDDEN ALL THE TREASURES OF WISDOM AND KNOWLEDGE." Amen! (excerpt from Paul's letter to the Colossians)

1:49 PM  
Blogger Be said...

*Sorry, the fifth paragraph should read, "If my blog could provide any of these things to my readers, in even the smallest measure, I would be happy!", not, "If I could stir any of these things in my readers..."

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thorough response! That is quite the "hidden and mysterious meaning" behind your blog! ...and here I was a dumb sheep. ;)

I hope your last little bit of time in England is pleasant, and that you have a safe trip home!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Erin Faul said...

carrot fish!!!!!??!?!?!?! (amy)

anyhooo....thanks for asking that question joeler! (mole-er--amy) and thanks for clearin that one up amsers!!!

hehe :):):)

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Inspiring blogs to spark your cognitive wheels and pleasure faculties...
mmm...my favourite should-be-doing-school-work-but-would-rather...(a.k.a. time-bending procrastination devices):

ASLAN REIGNS!

"Not all who wander are lost" ~J.R.R. Tolkien

“The Bible…does not release the Christian community, especially those [sic] gifted for the task, from the grind of studying and thinking about such matters.” ~John Peck, Uncommon Sense

Rational thought is the servant of faith: “Unless thou believe, thou shalt not understand.” ~Saint Augustine of Hippo

"If we ignore our culture we will be destined simply to reproduce it and those who are wedded to the spirit of this age are destined to be widowed in the next." ~Dean Inge as quoted by Dr. Craig Bartholomew

'Love bade me welcome, yet my soul drew back, Guilty of dust and sin. But quick-ey'd Love, observing me grow slack From my first entrance in, Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning If I lack'd anything.

"A guest," I answer'd, "worthy to be here"; Love said, "You shall be he." "I, the unkind, the ungrateful? ah my dear, I cannot look on thee." Love took my hand and smiling did reply, "Who made the eyes but I?" "Truth, Lord, but I have marr'd them; let my shame Go where it doth deserve." "And know you not," says Love, "who bore the blame?" "My dear, then I will serve." "You must sit down," says Love, "and taste my meat." So I did sit and eat.' ~George Herbert, Love III

I am 41% Geek.
Geek? Yes, but at least I got social skills.
You probably work in computers, or a history deptartment at a college. You never really fit in with the "normal" crowd. But you have friends, and this is a good thing.

Powered by Blogger